Weekly Update | May 12, 2022
Weekly Newsletter 05/12/2022
Peace to you!
There are many ways of showing pride, but one, in my opinion, is the most hidden and most common – a lack of desire to ask for help. Thing is, we are not always ready to accept or ask for help because this puts us into a weak and dependent position; and this totally destroys our image. We are much more open to helping others because this puts us into a position of a giver, or one who stoops down to the needs of others. We look better in this position; our image is one of sacrifice, niceness, and piety. For this reason, we often share only light, insignificant prayer needs. We want to save our image of success. But then there won’t be serious prayer support. Thus, on behalf of everyone who labors in the church as a teacher, I want to ask you to pray for the specific needs and difficulties of everyone who teaches. Two questions: 1) Who will we pray for? and 2) What will we pray about?
Who will we pray for?
I invite you all to pray for all who share the truth (or teach the word of God): Sunday school leaders, VBS leaders and their helpers, home group leader and their helpers, preachers in kids ministries, Jr. High, High School, College, women’s ministry leaders, and everyone who preaches to the whole church on Thursdays and Sundays.
What will we pray about?
– That their ministry would show the Almighty God, and not their abilities or talents. To accept your weakness and full dependence on God is not easy but necessary (John 15:5).
– That the desire toward ministry would be strong, growing, and pervasive.
– That the goal would be God’s glory, the foundation being Christ’s cross, powered by the strength of the Holy Spirit.
– That the serving would happen in joy. When the kingdom of Christ is valuable, so will obedience to Christ be joyful.
– That those serving would first grow as Christians and then as those who serve. One can be a good teacher, but it’s much better being a good Christian.
– That those who teach would be in constant fellowship with God through His word and prayer, not only when they’re preparing a lesson, seminar, or a sermon.
– That there would be a continual reverence and seriousness toward ministry since it is a big responsibility (James 3:1).
– That all the mentoring and teaching would attend to the heart and not just the passing on of information. There needs to be light for the mind and fire in the heart (John 5:35).
– That the authority and influence would not be rooted in the speaker, but in the infallible, sufficient, God-filled Scriptures. That the hearers would clearly see that the authority of the material is in the Scripture and not in the speaker (2 Tim. 3:16-17).
Continue supporting the churches which are working among the people who have suffered from the war in Ukraine: https://gfchurch.com/ukraine/
Please also continue to pray for brother Joseph Sheremet’s ministry in Poland!
The Scripture memory text for the next few weeks is – Psalm 139:1-16O Lord, you have searched me and known me!
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether.
5 You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.
7 Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you.
13 For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you, when I was being made in secret, intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance; in your book were written, every one of them, the days that were formed for me, when as yet there was none of them.
Below are the services and meetings for this weekend:
Today, Thursday (6:30 PM) – Children’s Bible School (open to all but required for parents), followed by Bible Study (Proverbs) for the whole church at 7:30 PM.
- – Worship Service in Russian at 9:00 AM
- – Worship Service in English at 11:15 AM
On behalf of elders of GFC